Simple answer? Never.
I like to think of these little blog posts as being instructive. Here’s an old investigative journalist trick.
You want information and you know your quarry has an ego the size of all outdoors.
1. Play stupid or forgetful. I tweeted this morning that I didn’t recall Hoge having ever asked me to stop contacting him. I’m sure he did, but darned if I can find it anywhere in my records.”
2. Show a vulnerability. I am sure he sent me one, but my memory isn’t what it has been lately.
Then, sit back and wait until you hear the trap snap shut. First, the blog post in its entirety, after which we will break it down and demonstrate why, if he has any hopes of not being humiliated on Oct. 16, he should pray that the Court of Appeals grants my motion, or that I die before Oct. 16. Barring that, he would need to talk to his attorney.
Now, let’s examine what we’ve learned here.
1. WJJ HOGE NEVER SENT ME A CEASE AND DESIST DEMAND. Oh, he sent one to Old Uncle Bastard. He also sent one to Breitbart Unmasked and Occupy Rebellion who continue to contact him to their hearts’ delight. I am the only one to have charges filed against me. But my name is NOT “Old Uncle Bastard.” A proper “cease and desist” has to be addressed to the individual you wish to stop contacting you.
William M. Schmalfeldt never received a signed, cease and desist order from WJJ Hoge. “Old Uncle Bastard” got a “cease contact” Tweet. As far as we legally know, Hoge’s son sent it. There is no proof that would stand up in court that Hoge ever ordered that I, William M. Schmalfeldt, cease contact with him.
2. HOGE’S “SECOND WARNING” WAS ACTUALLY A “FIRST WARNING” AND HE FILED CHARGES JUST DAYS LATER. In his blog post, Hoge refers to his Feb. 15 “stop contacting me” post as a “second warning.” He links to what he says was his “first warning,” which was this…
IN WHAT UNIVERSE IS “save your breath” a demand to “cease contact?”
“Old Uncle Bastard” isn’t even MENTIONED in this post so how can the OTHER post be a “second warning?” And do you see any reference to William M. Schmalfeldt anywhere in this post? Me neither.
3. HOGE’S SCREENCAP OF “OLD UNCLE BASTARD’S” TWEET DOESN’T PROVE A THING: For one thing, the link he says proves “Old Uncle Bastard” was AWARE of the Cease Contact Demand goes NOWHERE! And the comment made in the tweet could be true of the comments in 95% of Hoge’s posts. In the Tweet do you see any reference to a “Cease Contact Demand?” Me neither.
4. DID “OLD UNCLE BASTARD” CONTINUE TO SEND MESSAGES THAT HARASSED, ALARMED OR SERIOUSLY ANNOYED MR. HOGE? It doesn’t seem that way. But again, let’s look at the legal definition of Harassment in Maryland.
Did Old Uncle Bastard “intend” to “harass, alarm or annoy” Mr. Hoge? Well, a Carroll County Circuit Court judge who didn’t even know what Twitter WAS says William M. Schmalfeldt did, but did Hoge ever tell William M. Schmalfeldt to leave him alone? And is Mr. Hoge aware of the fact that criminal complaints are signed “under penalty of perjury”?
A “malicious course of conduct” in which William M. Schmalfeldt “approached or pursued” Mr. Hoge with INTENT to place him in “REASONABLE FEAR OF SERIOUS BODILY INJURY OR DEATH?”
SERIOUSLY??? POOP FLAKES IN YOUR BEARD WILL KILL YOU? Did William M. Schmalfeldt THREATEN to put those poop flakes in Mr. Hoge’s beard, or was it a vulgar but satirical observation?
5. MR. HOGE SEES MY BAIT AS AN ATTEMPT TO CLAIM A “TWINKIE DEFENSE.” Nope. It’s an attempt to prove that he never told William M. Schmalfeldt to stop contacting him, he told “Old Uncle Bastard,” “Breitbart Unmasked” and “Occupy Rebellion” to stop contacting him after lying that it was a “second warning.”
On Oct. 16, if we get that far, this is a tiny, smidgen of the evidence I plan to present to discredit and impeach Hoge’s honesty. I will use every scrap of proof I have gathered, and will continue to gather, to prove that Mr. Hoge’s “peace order” is nothing more than an attempt to use the courts as a weapon against me for the crime of pointing out the very obvious fact that he has poop flakes in his beard.
Of course, if Mr. Hoge would rather NOT be humiliated in a public setting, he knows what he has to do. But we have the feeling that Mr. Hoge rather enjoys public humiliation, given the fact that his 13 charges against me have all gone into the dumper and he needed three shots to get a judge to agree with his constitutionally-flawed peace order. If humiliation is what he craves, I will do my level best to deliver.